[Tlhingan-hol] qo''e' tu'bogh pagh - 'ay' cha'maH vagh

Qov robyn at flyingstart.ca
Sat Mar 10 06:32:59 PST 2012

At 00:12 '?????' 3/10/2012, you wrote:
>De'vID:
> >> CHANG: *McCoy* Qel, Hergh DotlhlIj
>
>Qov:
> > I understand Hergh as medicine like medication, not like the science. I
> > might prefer {yIn Dotlh} here or recasting with {pIv}.
>
>I'm trying to preserve the "medical status" pun.  Do you think "what's
>your {yIn Dotlh}?" can be answered by both "I have a touch of
>arthritis" and "I'm due to retire as a medical doctor"?

I didn't even see it as a pun, but yes, I think it can.

>De'vID:
> >> McCOY: qaStaHvIS cha'maH Soch DIS, 'entepray'Daq HaqwI' vIgheS.
> >> wejwaQ 'utlh vImoj.
>
>Qov:
> > Why not just {paj}? There's no implication in the English that
> he's going to
> > take on any special status.
>
>Hm, "resign" is not quite the same as "retire".  Also, "resign" is
>usually initiated by the officer, whereas "retire" may not be a matter
>of choice.  (Does Starfleet have a mandatory retirement age?)

I doubt it. We see a lot of doddering admirals.

>Maybe {batlh paj}?

vIparHa'qu'.

>De'vID:
> >> CHANG: toH.  ramvetlh romuluS HIq 'Iq
>
>Qov:
> > In English Chang doesn't go so far as to suggest that the amount McCoy
> > consumed was 'Iq. I think law'qu' is a better translation.
>
>Yeah, but it's implied.  I agree that {'Iq} is too explicit about it.
>Maybe {Datlhutlhchu'} or {Datlhutlhqu'}?

{Datlhutlhqu'} QaQ law' {Datlhutlhchu'} QaQ puS.

>De'vID:
> >> JUDGE: mej leghwI' 'e' vIchaw'.
>
>Qov:
> > I thought at first the judge was dismissing the spectators. In the absence
> > of Klingon articles could you make this more specific with leghwI'vam?
>
>Or maybe {HeS leghwI'}?  I'm not that happy with {leghwI'} though and
>I'm still looking for another way to say "witness (to a crime)".

I knew what it was after a moment's thought and tried to think of a
better way, but it's not like tu'wI' helps any, {HeS leghwI'} is an
improvement, but I'd stil put a -vam on it if it were mine.

- Qov