[Tlhingan-hol] qo''e' tu'bogh pagh - 'ay' cha'maH vagh

De'vID jonpIn de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 00:12:58 PST 2012

De'vID:
>> CHANG: *McCoy* Qel, Hergh DotlhlIj

Qov:
> I understand Hergh as medicine like medication, not like the science. I
> might prefer {yIn Dotlh} here or recasting with {pIv}.

I'm trying to preserve the "medical status" pun.  Do you think "what's
your {yIn Dotlh}?" can be answered by both "I have a touch of
arthritis" and "I'm due to retire as a medical doctor"?

De'vID:
>> McCOY: qaStaHvIS cha'maH Soch DIS, 'entepray'Daq HaqwI' vIgheS.
>> wejwaQ 'utlh vImoj.

Qov:
> Why not just {paj}? There's no implication in the English that he's going to
> take on any special status.

Hm, "resign" is not quite the same as "retire".  Also, "resign" is
usually initiated by the officer, whereas "retire" may not be a matter
of choice.  (Does Starfleet have a mandatory retirement age?)  Maybe
{batlh paj}?

De'vID:
>> CHANG: toH.  ramvetlh romuluS HIq 'Iq

Qov:
> In English Chang doesn't go so far as to suggest that the amount McCoy
> consumed was 'Iq. I think law'qu' is a better translation.

Yeah, but it's implied.  I agree that {'Iq} is too explicit about it.
Maybe {Datlhutlhchu'} or {Datlhutlhqu'}?

De'vID:
>> JUDGE: mej leghwI' 'e' vIchaw'.

Qov:
> I thought at first the judge was dismissing the spectators. In the absence
> of Klingon articles could you make this more specific with leghwI'vam?

Or maybe {HeS leghwI'}?  I'm not that happy with {leghwI'} though and
I'm still looking for another way to say "witness (to a crime)".