[Tlhingan-hol] qo''e' tu'bogh pagh - 'ay' cha'maH vagh

Qov robyn at flyingstart.ca
Thu Mar 8 07:55:24 PST 2012

At 00:16 '?????' 3/8/2012, De'vID jonpIn wrote:
>(bo'DIjDaq taH meqba')
>
>CHANG: *McCoy* Qel, Hergh DotlhlIj

I understand Hergh as medicine like medication, not like the science.
I might prefer {yIn Dotlh} here or recasting with {pIv}.

>jIHvaD yIDel.

I want the jIHvaD before the Hergh DotlhlIj, because the former is
one of the nouns with another function in the sentence per TKD 6.1.

>McCOY: loQ 'oy' HomDu'wIj[1],

vIlajbej.

>'ach QaQlaw' Hergh DotlhwIj.

Hoch jar Hergh DotlhwIj'e' vI'olnIS -- Hoch jaj Hergh vIghup 'ej
Qapchu'taH 'e' vI'ol.  Thats what Hergh Dotlh suggests to me.

>CHANG: bItlhaQchu', Qel.
>McCOY: qaStaHvIS cha'maH Soch DIS, 'entepray'Daq HaqwI' vIgheS.
>wejwaQ 'utlh vImoj.

Why not just {paj}? There's no implication in the English that he's
going to take on any special status.

>CHANG: toH.  ramvetlh romuluS HIq 'Iq

In English Chang doesn't go so far as to suggest that the amount
McCoy consumed was 'Iq. I think law'qu' is a better translation.

>McCOY: matlhutlh Hoch maH.  'ach matlhutlhmo'...

I think it's still wItlhutlh. We're still talking about the Romulun
ale.  I'd have both be wItlhutlh. Good work on the interruption.
Those are often tricky.

>CHANG: yIn'a' ghorqon Qang, DanuDchoHDI'?
>McCOY: loQ.
>CHANG: yIyep, Qel.  loQ yInbogh SIDpu''e' DatoDpu''a'?[3]

I read it as (loQ yInbogh SIDpu''e') not loQ (SIDpu''e' DatoDpu'), as
you first intended. You need to preserve the parallism between the
two sentences, so if you change this, you have to change McCoy's
reply to match.  If others think loQ modifies toD here, then
something like {loQ yIntaHvIS latlh SID DatoDpu''a'?}

>McCOY: tlhIngan QurvaD Hergh Sov vIghajbe'.
>CHANG: vIyaj.
>McCOY: pa' SoHtaH.
>CHANG: bIjatlh, 'utlh Damoj.  qaghellaHchugh[4]

Regardless of whether it makes sense for a Klingon to say that, what
he said is much closer to {qaghel net chaw'chugh}. He knows he CAN
ask.  MAY implies seeking permission.

>... bIraQlaHchu''a'[5]?
>Are either of them good for "be in control of your hands"?

I don't think so. I'd go with {ngaDtaH'a' ghopDu'lIj}

>WORF: jImorgh!
>McCOY: jIbIt!

Before reading the translation I thought it was odd for McCoy to
interject with his current state of mind. Perhaps it needs {ngugh}.

>CHANG: Qo'!  bItlhIb.  bItlhIb, chIch bItlhIb pagh bItlhutlhmo' 'ej
>bIqanmo' bItlhIb.  'e' wuqnIS bo'DIj.

I don't think tlhIb needs to be repeated at the beginning of the
second sentence.  I feel that tlhutlh needs a V7 there--I don't know
which one: is he saying as a result of drunkenness on that day (-pu')
or alcoholism (-taH)? I know you didn't put one in because you're
trying to copy the "age and drink" structure.  You could go more
direct and say {chIch bItlhIb pagh qanwI' chech SoHmo' bItlhIb}.

>McCOY: Qu'vatlh, vItoD 'e' vInID!  vItoD 'e' vInID.  vInIDqu'!  'u'
>roj chenmoHmeH 'eb nIvqu' HochDIch ghaH.
>JUDGE: mej leghwI' 'e' vIchaw'.

I thought at first the judge was dismissing the spectators. In the
absence of Klingon articles could you make this more specific with leghwI'vam?

- Qov