[Tlhingan-hol] Gleanings from Monopoly: Klingon Edition (MKE)

André Müller esperantist at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 15:04:13 PST 2012

2012/3/9 Qov <robyn at flyingstart.ca>

> At 11:55 '?????' 3/9/2012, you wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 12:52 PM, Steven Boozer <sboozer at uchicago.edu>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Love it, so useful. I also love that it's similar enough to rI' that I
>> can
>> > imagine a common etymology.
>>
>> I'm sure everyone would understand {rItHa'} as "dismiss", though I'm
>> not going to put it in my dictionary database. It does make me wonder
>> what {rI'Ha'} could mean.
>>

> With no context whatsoever, I would understand {rI'Ha'} as
> "disconnect/hang up," because rI' to me usually implies the use of a
> communicator or other transmission device.

When I first read it, I actually understood it as something along the lines
of "dial the wrong number", however this works out in the 23rd or 24th
century...

A: Bridge to Mr. Smith.
B: Smith here, Sir.
A: Uh, not again. Sorry. I meant the engine room Mr. Smith, not you.
B: I'm a barber, not an engineer!

A: Bridge to Lt. Smith.
Computer: We have 3 Lt. Smiths on board this ship. Please specify: Lt.
Valery Smith, engineering, Lt. Calvin Smith, engineering or Lt. Matthew
Smith, security.
A: Forget it, I'll just go there myself.

- André (who sometimes has a similar problem with his last name)