[Tlhingan-hol] qo''e' tu'bogh pagh - 'ay' wejmaH

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Mar 8 12:51:54 PST 2012

De'vID jonpIn:
>> KIRK:   We've been set up all along.
>> MARTIA: Somebody up there wants you out of the way.
>
>  KIRK:   wIlumoHlu'meH HIghlu'.[2]
>  MARTIA: DungDaq vay' tu'lu'. Sungab neH ghaH.

Nice use of the under-utilized {HIgh} "fight dirty".  I also like {lumoH} "cause (someone) to suffer a loss of status", though I would phrase it a bit more simply:

  wIlumoHlu'!  HIghpu' vay'!

> [2] - What's a good way to say "to be set up"?

Good question.  Considering Klingon power politics, this must happen frequently.

You could always go with the tried-and-true:

  pIch wIghajbe'!  wIta'pu'be'!
  It's not our fault!  We didn't do it!

Or consider the verb {QuS} "conspire", used once in SkyBox S99

  HaDlu'meH, QuSlu'meH, SuDlu'meH lojmIt Da logh Hop Hut
   tengchaH. vaj loghDaq lenglaHtaH Humanpu'
  space station Deep Space Nine is the gateway for the
   exploration, intrigue and enterprise that mark the
   continuation of the human adventure into space...

Since {QuS} can take {-lu'}, it might be able to take an object:

 ? DIQuSlu'ba'pu'!
   We've obviously been conspired against!

If this doesn't work, there's the noun {QuS}:

  QuS 'oH!  wIta'pu'be'!
  It's a conspiracy!  We didn't do it!

--
Voragh