[Tlhingan-hol] KLI CanonHom (was: Facebook Translation Project [FTP]: weekdays)

Michael Roney, Jr. PKT nahqun at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 13:13:53 PST 2012

I love seeing the list active.

Years ago, back when the KLI wiki was active, I was in the process of going through the various KLBT texts and pulling out coinages for "gold", "silver", "brass", and what not.

And I made a list of the terms.

Very similar to what is being discussed here.

A list of coinages that have come before so that someone in the future can use them again, if they so desire.

Despite my efforts, the list was totally rejected, and no longer exists on the Wiki.

Oddly, though, when asking for modern computer terms this past October, I was pointed to a list that someone, somewhere put together of 21st Century computer terms.

Many were very helpful to my project.

I have been asked to translate many computer-related texts over the years and wish that I had kept better notes.

My own list of my own coinages (or those from other sources), to refer to on future projects.

It appears, IMO, that there is some resistance to the act of compiling coinages, but not in using them.

If I were to say

HIlel vISop

or

Qel 'awje' vItlhutlh

or even

jIyIDbe'

I think a large number of y'all would understand me.

(let's not forget 'anan naH)

But if I were to suggest writing these words down on a list, we'd have the same argument that's going on now.

To those who want to make lists, I say make them all you want.

Send me copies.

Just don't be surprised if no one else wants to use it.

OTOH, if your coinage is clever enough, or useful enough, it may just catch on as slang…

~'anan naHQun

~Michael Roney, Jr.
Professional Klingon translator
webOS developer