[Tlhingan-hol] KLI CanonHom (was: Facebook Translation Project [FTP]: weekdays)

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Fri Mar 2 12:44:03 PST 2012

Sorry, that e-mail went off before it was finished; apparently there's a keyboard macro that sends stuff. Here's the complete thing:

ghItlhta' SuStel,
> My argument isn't "It's not Marc"; it's "Why is it you?" (or whoever it is).

Because the idea is to make "you" as large a slab of the klingonist community as possible. Finding out how to achieve that would, as has been said, would be a key part of any such project.

If "you" consists of - as you put it - "A cabal of people who happen to be active on a given list at a given time", then I agree: It's not a very good idea at all, and I'd never suggest such a thing.

ghItlhta' Qov:
> I'll try and stay out of this now, unless addressed directly, because
> all the sides of the argument are ably represented by smart committed people.

I'm pretty sure you qualify better for that description than I do, but I'll try not to drag you in ;)

ghItlhta' SuStel,
> Exactly. Among ourselves it is actual language; published by an
> organization it is a formal standard. Do we really want the Swedish
> Language Council telling us how to speak Swedish, even if we don't have
> to follow their advice?

I find the ability to consult them when I feel like it handy. I still use apostrophes to mark the genitive and use words that "don't exist" and write "henom" when I should write "hen", but, yes, I do consult their work.