[Tlhingan-hol] KLI CanonHom (was: Facebook Translation Project [FTP]: weekdays)

David Trimboli david at trimboli.name
Fri Mar 2 12:17:07 PST 2012

On 3/2/2012 3:11 PM, Felix Malmenbeck wrote:

>>> The question here is not strictly about "the language", but about
>>> how to render specific names that don't have established Klingon
>>> language equivalents.
>> Either way, it still comes out to "When you're speaking Klingon,
>> you say 'basketball' this way..."
>
> I'd argue it's more like "There's no canonical word for 'baskeball',
> but a commonly used term is..."

It's not a "commonly used term"; it's "a term a group of people who have
more say in the language than you do have decided for you."

>> list members here. A cabal of people who happen to be active on a
>> given list at a given time smacks of elitism and exclusion. ("Where
>> were you when the committee chose that word?")
>
> While I can see where you're coming from, I think you're exaggerating
> the issue quite a lot. There's already a mountain of "mandatory
> reading";

All written by Okrand. KLI publications are not mandatory reading; in
fact the understanding of grammar in most of them is rather outdated.

--
David Trimboli
http://www.trimboli.name/