[Tlhingan-hol] KLI CanonHom (was: Facebook Translation Project [FTP]: weekdays)

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Fri Mar 2 12:11:42 PST 2012

>> The question here is not strictly about "the language", but about how
>> to render specific names that don't have established Klingon language
>> equivalents.
> Either way, it still comes out to "When you're speaking Klingon, you say
> 'basketball' this way..."

I'd argue it's more like "There's no canonical word for 'baskeball', but a commonly used term is..."

> list members here. A cabal of people who happen to be active on a given
> list at a given time smacks of elitism and exclusion. ("Where were you
> when the committee chose that word?")

While I can see where you're coming from, I think you're exaggerating the issue quite a lot. There's already a mountain of "mandatory reading"; this'd be like adding "recommended reading" (or "recommended Ctrl+F:ing"). It's a utility, not a measuring rod.

> We've managed to get by for 27 years without a semi-official
> standard-way-to-say-Earth-things list. What's changed?

It's not an "accept or perish" thing; I personally think it'd be an improvement, as I find that this is often a problem when one has projects such as the Facebook translation, or TEDtalks or anything else earthbound.