[Tlhingan-hol] Facebook Translation Project [FTP]: weekdays

David Trimboli david at trimboli.name
Fri Mar 2 11:45:12 PST 2012

On 3/2/2012 2:25 PM, ghunchu'wI' 'utlh wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 9:24 AM, David Trimboli<david at trimboli.name>  wrote:
>> Who gave this list authority over the language?
>
> The question here is not strictly about "the language", but about how
> to render specific names that don't have established Klingon language
> equivalents.

Either way, it still comes out to "When you're speaking Klingon, you say
'basketball' this way..."

>> Klingon isn't ours.
>
> I believe it is. A language belongs to those who speak it.

You sure do like to isolate things I say, take them out of context, then
knock down the straw man you've just built. Please stop doing that. As I
said in the text you snipped, Klingon is not just spoken by the active
list members here. A cabal of people who happen to be active on a given
list at a given time smacks of elitism and exclusion. ("Where were you
when the committee chose that word?")

We've managed to get by for 27 years without a semi-official
standard-way-to-say-Earth-things list. What's changed?

>> So, no list rulings on how to say things.
>
> Perhaps it was a mistake for this particular issue to have been
> brought up on this particular forum, but I think it's appropriate for
> the question to be posed to as many skilled and/or longtime speakers
> as possible.

So new or unskilled speakers have to go along with whatever the
committee says? Or to put it another way, if new or unskilled speakers
feel compelled to accept this standard, how does it differ from an
actual language authority?

http://www.trimboli.name/