[Tlhingan-hol] Facebook Translation Project [FTP]: weekdays

Qov robyn at flyingstart.ca
Fri Mar 2 12:24:48 PST 2012

Riffing off what SuStel wrote, as my contribution to the whole
discussion. tl;dr? Summary at the bottom.

At 11:45 02/03/2012, David Trimboli wrote:
>Either way, it still comes out to "When you're speaking Klingon, you
>say 'basketball' this way..."

Isolated communities of non-majority language speakers do develop
their own vocabulary for things that aren't in their language to
begin with, and it does come out differently in different
communities, and it does cause confusion.

My ancestors left their homeland and came to Canada and then new
things were invented. So although we continue to speak more or less
the same language as the homeland, we adopted the words for parts of
the automobile (hood, trunk, windshield) that were used by our
nearest neighbour, while our homeland came up with their own terms
(bonnet, boot, windscreen) for the new items. Our ancestors numbered
floors of a building ground, 1, 2, 3 while our neighbours started
with 1 on the ground floor.  Now in Canada you have to check how old
the building is and who engineered it to know if you can get hurt
jumping out of a first storey window or not.

I write to-do lists and shopping lists in pIqaD these days, and while
it's likely that those of you who read pIqaD would be able to buy my
groceries for me, at least half the items on any given list are
nowhere near canon. DaHjaj {ray' tIr Hurgh ngat} vIpoQ. That's
probably the furthest out there, and something that many of you
didn't know existed.

The register of speech that allows me to say {gho moQ DaQuj DaneH} is
very informal, not suitable for even this listserver, but supposing
that I, SuStel and Qanqor actually liked basketball, we'd probably
play it at qep'a' without griping about the language going to hell in
a handbasket. I bet you money there are dozens of coinages between
Qanqor and ISqu' that aren't on any published list. If you're going
to communicate you're going to need words for things.

I suppose if I'm forced to commit, I am marginally on the side of
preferring to have some people call Monday {jaj wa'DIch}, some people
call it {jaj cha'DIch}, and some people call it {maSjaj}, over having
some call it "Monday" and others "Montag".

This isn't an argument for or against anything, just the point that
no matter how hard language authorities of any scale try to suppress
new developments, they occur. Remember when the {mu' pegh} was
noSvagh and everyone in the room was silently screaming 'I' but it
couldn't be used? We have a chance here to influence the way I write
my to-do lists and the way KAGsters call their meetings to order. Do
we want to take it?

I'll try and stay out of this now, unless addressed directly, because
all the sides of the argument are ably represented by smart committed people.

what this list or the KLI does. They don't belong on any official
wordlist, but do we want to influence them?  Darned if I know.

- Qov