[Tlhingan-hol] Facebook Translation Project [FTP]: weekdays

Lieven Litaer lieven.litaer at web.de
Thu Mar 1 13:08:15 PST 2012

I'll just call it like that, we will have many more topics to discuss.

As some people might know, Facebook is available in many languages, and
a few people are working on the Klingon translation. Every member of
Facebook can contribute.

We have arrived to an interesting question, which can probably not be
solved clearly, but Im interested in your opinions anyway.

We need to translate the weekdays, and there is an obvious and nice
suggestion to do this with {jaj wa'}, {jaj cha'} and so on.

Now the problem is, WHICH is day one?

Here some facts:
- in the Americas (so not only the USA) Sunday is day one.
- some other languages, like Arabic, also start their week with Sunday.
- Most european languages (like german) start their week with monday
(that's why Sat+Sun is called "weekend", not "Fri+Sat")
- According to the Islamic and Hebrew calendars, Sunday is the first day
of the week. [Wikipedia]
- According to international standard ISO 8601 Monday is the first day
of the work week. [Wikipedia]
- Garfield hates Mondays ;-)
- There is a canon (is it?) invitation to the startrek Exhibition using
{jaj wa'} for "Sunday".

Next problem: if we decide to follow any of the possible numbering
systems, how does *any* user from Japan, Germany, Panama or Brazil know
which system has been chosen?

Since this latter problem might never be solved, I'd suggest to leave
the weekdays untranslated until we have official names for them (which I
doubt, since klingons certainly do not have a seven-day week, but who
knows? ;-)

Greetings,
   Lieven.