[Tlhingan-hol] Facebook Translation Project [FTP]: weekdays

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Thu Mar 1 13:27:11 PST 2012

I've always been in favor of keeping it in line with the ISO standard; it's the most global standard, and those familiar with Klingon are most probably familiar with it.
Of course, anyone familiar with Klingon is also likely familiar with English, so one could certainly use the English words. I just don't like the look of it, personally.

Since we'll probably never get canonical names for them, and since their canonicity doesn't really strike me as very important (they're not real Klingon words, anyway), perhaps rather than wait around for them we should try to develop a consensus and maybe pass an "official KLI list of non-official weekday names" that we can use when a project like this comes along? It'd sure make things a lot easier.

Come to think of it, perhaps the KLI should work actively to coin terms for everyday Terran things; a semi-official <Human Soj mu'mey ru' tetlh> (mu'mey ru' because new words may reveal better ways to describe things). Marc's never going to have the time to sit down and name every Terran fruit and animal, and we'd much rather have him coining more interesting mu'mey chu', anyway, so why not take care of that ourselves?

For anyone who's interested, here's one old discussion on naming the days: http://www.klingon.org/smboard/index.php/topic,1600.0.html