[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: rop

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Mar 1 09:54:46 PST 2012

Voragh:
>> Klingons do get sick.  Known Klingon diseases, illnesses
>> and "syndromes" (as they are often called in Trek) include:
>> [...] Anyone know of any others?

De'vID jonpIn:
> {ruDelya' rop'a'} "Rudellian plaque"

Do Klingons suffer from this or only Rudellians (whoever they are)?

> mu'tlheghvam ghaj Klingon Monopoly:
>
> qarDaSQa'Daq ruDelya' rop'a' Hergh qengbogh yo' Dabot.
> "Intercept Rudellian plague relief convoy to Cardassian Union."

I've never seen this sentence before.  Is it from the Monopoly cards?  Would you share more of these (off-list if you prefer)?  Some new vocabulary, phrases and extensions:

{rop'a'}  "plague" (n)

A logical coining, which I've seen informally on the list.

{qarDaSQa'} "Cardassian Union".

We've seen {Qa'} - a political union? - before in {yuQjIjQa'} "United Federation of Planets" and recently in {'amerI'qa' SepjIjQa'} "United States of America" (TalkNow) and {tuqjIjQa'} "United Kingdom" (TalkNow).

{Hergh qengbogh yo'} "(medical) relief convoy"

{qengbogh yo'}       "convoy"

{bot} "intercept".

An extension to its previous meanings of "prevent, block".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons