[Tlhingan-hol] A New Hope

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Jun 28 06:56:35 PDT 2012

'anan naHQun:
>> De' lunIHbogh lup ley'a joH.

SuStel:
> Keep the accomplished aspect you used before: {De' lunIHta'bogh}
> "information which they stole."
> Would {HIj} "deliver, transport goods" be better than {lup}
> "transport"?

I think so.  Looking at Okrand's usage, {lup} appears to be for transporting people and {HIj} for transporting things.  AFAIK there are no examples with the verb {lup} in a sentence (are there any in the {paq'batlh}?), but we do have some nouns:

  lupDujHom  		shuttlecraft (TKD)
  lupwI'  		jitney (CK), bus (TNK)
  lupwI' mIr  		train (TNK)
  ra'wI' lupwI' 	taxi (TNK)

{HIj} has been used in a sentence though:

  rura' pente'Daq Soj, Doch, <luch?> vIqIch
  We is condemning food... things and supplies to Rura Penthe. ST6
  (i.e. {vIHIj} - an intentional error in the script: Uhura's Klingon was rusty!)

  yIHmey DaHIj'a'
  Are you transporting tribbles? CK

  ghobe', yIHmey vIHIjbe'
  No, I'm not transporting tribbles. CK