[Tlhingan-hol] Verse form of paq'batlh

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Jun 26 11:47:16 PDT 2012

SuStel:
> I'm now reading the paq'batlh, and in trying to understand why certain
> translation choices were made, I want to understand the verse
> structure.
>
> We are told in Okrand's foreword that Klingon epic literature consists
> of stanzas of three lines of unequal length (with the qualifier
> "usually" on each of those descriptors).

Vincent Van Gerven Oei in his speech at {qepHom wa'maHDIch} called it {lut'a'}:  {tlhIngan lut'a' paq} and {lut'a' 'oH paq'batlh'e'}.  Does {lut'a'} appear in Okrand's introduction?

Here's the full quote (which Okrand likely provided):

tlhIHvaD paq chu' wImuch 'e' bochaw'mo' chequvmoH 'ej chebelmoH.
 lut'a'raj Dun laDlaHmeH tera'ngan, tera'Daq tlhIngan lut'a'
 paq wa'DIch wIchenmoHta', lut'a' 'oH paq'batlh'e'.

It is a great honor and pleasure that you have allowed us to
 present you with the first Terran edition of your glorious epic,
 the paq'batlh.   [via Felix Malmenbeck, 4/12/12]

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons