[Tlhingan-hol] Choose the Right

Michael Roney, Jr. PKT nahqun at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 01:05:40 PDT 2012

Several years ago, when I was still new to the language; I tried to
translate the phrase "Choose the Right".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choose_the_right

The phrase means "choose the right choice (not the wrong one)" or
"choose righteously/that which is righteous".

I ended up with {lughwI' wIv}.

Looking back at it; I laugh.

Besides lack of expertise, there were a few things that colored my decisions.

--I wanted to match the words to a song; and needed three syllables.

--I wanted to be able to say it to any number of people without the
phrase changing (which is why it's clipped)

--The phrase is often abbreviated and put on rings; which could be
read by any number of people (including the one wearing it).
Which is also why it's clipped.
(I remember a similar discussion about bumper stickers)

I'm not currently concerned about the song; I'm sure I can re-word
other parts of it to fit the new translation.

Moving forward, I'm thinking I need -bogh to get a "thing which is right".
But that's me thinking in noun-centric English.

Thinking in verbs, I could simply say {wIvchu'} "choose perfectly".

But I think {batlh wIv} "choose honorably" captures the flavor more.

~'anan naHQun

--
~Michael Roney, Jr.
Professional Klingon Translator