[Tlhingan-hol] mIl'oD veDDIr SuvwI': 'ay' 2 - yIlop; chaq wa'leS maHegh!

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Jul 30 06:30:32 PDT 2012

QeS:
>> cheghqa'DI' 'ej tIna'tIn leghqa'DI', tIqDaj lumeQqa'moHlu'
>> 'ej lu'aw'qa'lu'[8].
>>
>> [8] Klingons have two hearts, so plural agreement here for "heart".

Qov:
> That one caught me out two when I described three hearts beating in an
> embrace. There's more, and more recent canon supporting one Klingon
> heart. The backfit is that some observers over generalized bIraqlul,
> and that the heart does have redundant chambers.

Time Lords may have two hearts, but Klingons have only one, eight-chambered heart (cf. TNG "Ethics").  See also the proverbs referencing a single heart:

  tIqlIj Da'angnIS
  You must show your heart. PK

  tIqwIj Sa'angnIS
  I must show you my heart. TKW

  tIqDaq HoSna' tu'lu'
  Real power is in the heart. TKW
  ["In this phrase, the heart stands for one's spirit or
    principles." TKW 23]

Although there is this interesting bit from the paq'batlh (I don't know what the context is here):

  ngIq tonSaw' lo' 'ej tIqDu' lel
  In one single move, he removed the hearts (PB, paq'raD, canto 23)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons