[Tlhingan-hol] mIl'oD veDDIr SuvwI': 'ay' 1 - DujlIj yIvoq

Qov robyn at flyingstart.ca
Sat Jul 28 23:48:22 PDT 2012

At 00:18 '?????' 7/29/2012, Rohan Fenwick - QeS 'utlh wrote:
>jIH:
> > « ngo'choHDI' lav 'IH, QaDchoHDI' porDaj 'ej nguvHa'choHDI',
> > nenchoH latlh por 'ej Du'Hom 'IHqa'moH.
>
>Qov:
> > I got confused here whether the metaphor is of
> > new leaves replacing old on the same bush or new
> > bushes in the same garden. If the second por were
> > a Sor or a lav, it would make more sense to me.
>
>How about I change out lav for por and use lavDaq? So {lavDaq
>ngo'choHDI' por 'IH, QaDchoHDI' 'ej nguvHa'choHDI'...}?

Yep, that works. So long as it the same thing getting old as being replaced.

> > Also I just realized that you're deliberately leaving a space
> > between the guillemets and the text. Who else likes that better?
>
>Partly I do that because of my experience with French guillemets,
>but it also looks less crowded IMHO.

I knew you liked it better, because you did it. I
was fantasizing that someone else was reading,
too. :-)   I like them tight. I looked at a lot
of languages and saw there was no standard. It
looks as if there is something missing to me when
there is a gap. Also I would have to add hard
spaces everywhere, and that's too much like work.

>jIH:
> > maS'e' So'choHbogh QIb wov law' Hov wov puS, 'ej vaj qabbogh
> > qeSlIj'e' nIv law' QaQbogh qeS'e' lunobbogh latlh nIv puS.
>
>Qov:
> > I stumbled over 'ej vaj, preferring vaj aone.
>
>Fair enough. An adverb for "in the same way" or "likewise" is very
>high on my wishlist.

I have wanted one for a while. Recently, I think
in e-mail to you, I experimented with jaSHa'.  No results yet.

>jIH:
> > 'e' wIjatlhDI' 'etlhlIj wIbochmoHbe'qu';
>
>Qov:
> > qatlh 'etlhlIj'e' bochmoHbe'? yapbe''a' ghIch?
>
>ghIch bochmoHwI' vIttlhegh vIqelbe'. KGTDaq ja'pu' Marc:
>
>"...this word is all that remains of an older expression, {'etlh
>bochmoHwI'} ("blade shiner"). It was originally used to refer to
>someone who shined somebody else's blade, as opposed to one's own,
>suggesting the idea of flattering a superior rather than simply
>doing one's own work." (p.145-147)

maj.

>The historical background to the story explains why it's like this.
>It was written by a treasurer in the court of Queen Tamar, who was
>made heir apparent and co-regent by her father in 1178 and who took
>over the rule of Georgia outright from 1184 to 1213. This first bit
>is almost definitely an allegorical reference to Tamar.

Good way to get the queen to approve your story.

>jIH:
> > [2] Relocating to Qo'noS as the Klingon Hamlet did. As a result
> > there's a lot of Christian references to tone down, so there'll
> > be a lot of vague QI'tu's and qeylISes.
>
>Qov:
> > Daj. We're talking Georgia as in Gruzinskaya,
> > no? I would have thought it was Muslim. ghorgh qaS?
>
>Yep, that's the one (Sakartvelo). It adopted Christianity as the
>state religion in 319 AD and it's remained so since then. There's
>a mixture of Christianity, Islam and native religious traditions
>across the Caucasus, but Georgia has always been pretty fiercely
>Christian.

I did not know that.  Literacy often travels with
religion, so I had assumed that Cyrillic alphabet
travelled into Russia with Christianity and as
the Georgian still have their--whoa, I just
looked up the Georgian alphabet on Wikipedia to
see if there was a name for the script family,
I'd assumed it was related to Arabic, but that is
one messy mess. They have three separate alphabets.

You're reading this in an English translation, or you know Georgian?

- Qov