[Tlhingan-hol] nuq bop bom: 'ay' cha'vatlh loSmaH cha': cha' lupDujHommey

Rohan Fenwick - QeS 'utlh qeslagh at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 25 06:14:00 PDT 2012

ghItlhpu' Qov, jatlh:
> Here begins the twelfth and final 'ay''a' of the novel.

QavwI'? tugh pawlaw'... jI'IQ!

> reaching a lieutenant on the bridge, because qImyal was busy in
> her interrogation room.

Heh heh heh. >:)

> vulHa'DI' Mahoun, SaH 'eSSIm, Mossam je. qaStaHvIS lup puS mIStaH Mahoun
> ghIq qaw: bIQtIQ,

bIQtIq.

(poD vay')

> jatlh, «joHwI', DeghlIjvaD bobcho'vam vIlISmeH nuH pat, So'wI', qa'vIn
> vutwI' je vIrarHa'nIS.

Qo'! qa'vIn vutwI' yIHotQo'!

I got the meaning of the phrase {qa'vIn vutwI'} right away, but then my
mind got carried away and started thinking "Huh, a ship with a dedicated
coffee-making officer..."

> neHDI' pagh, ghIb Qa'bar.

"As soon as no-one wanted it" seems a weird phrasing... maybe it's just
me. {neHlaw'mo' pagh} "because no-one seemed to want it"?

> jonwI' boQtaH 'eSSIm.[297]

Assisting the repair crew vicariously through 'eSSIm, hmm? :)

> veS retlhDaq So'Ha'pu' lupDujHom.

Out of interest, when/if you do a book out of this, will you be doing
ship names and such in italics? I got the right interpretation on this
one just fine (WTF would {veS retlh} mean if {veS} wasn't a ship name?)
but I do remember that early on I got tripped up with the ship named
{Dugh}...

> «QaptaH QumwI' patlIj'e'. chaq QapHa' veS QumwI'. vIrItlu'DI vIlISlI'»,

{vIrI'lu'DI'} DaHech 'e' vIloy.

> 'ej QunDajvaD qoy'taH.

I love the different castings we come up with for things Klingons really
don't do. I did "pray" at least three different ways in the Rime - qoy',
jatlh, Qum...

> laQ lupDujHom cha'DIch nISwI' talmey 'ach Hov matlh mupbe'.

I don't like {laQ} here for the disruptor cannons; it just seems like
the wrong verb to use. Is there a reason you avoided {baH}?

> lupDuj cha'DIch qIpbe'pu' qImyalHey tIH. 'eSSIm Du' qach qIppu' 'ej
> meQchoH. «tIrwIj'e'!» jatlh 'eSSIm.

Sadly, my first thought was "That's okay, if they're just carbonised
they'll still be identifiable." Yes, I'm a geek. What of it?

Hmmm. I'd put all these goings-on down on the planet's surface out of my
mind. Time to go back and reread some more, methinks.

QeS 'utlh