[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: rIQ

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Mon Jan 30 14:45:03 PST 2012

> To me, it sounds something has started to hurt you but hasn't finished yet. Like if someone stabbed you, and you could feel the point of the blade cut > into you, but at that moment you know your attacker is still pushing the blade deeper. Or if someone were breaking your arm, and you could feel the > bone fracture, but it hasn't yet snapped. That's what I'd think if I heard you say <jIrIQlI'>.

I'd use <rIQchoHlI'> for that; in the process of becoming injured.

Looking at TKD, it seems that for -lI' to be used, all that's required is a known goal or definite endpoint, which I suppose could be the end of one's injury.
jIrIQlI' - I'm injured, but I'll recover.
jIrIQtaH - I'm injured; perhaps I'm recover, perhaps not.

That being said, in TKD MO also mentions -lI' as being a bit like a continuous counterpart to -ta', suggesting that -lI' may imply doing something intentionally. The examples I could find also support this.

Could one say <jIrIQlI'> if one is convinced the injury will pass, or would that imply that the injury was intentionally inflicted ("I'm tempering my body to become a strlnger warrior." / "Terran bachelor parties are all about pranks and strippers. On Qo'noS, Kal'hyah wIpawmeH marIQlI'.").

To me, it sounds something has started to hurt you but hasn't finished yet. Like if someone stabbed you, and you could feel the point of the blade cut into you, but at that moment you know your attacker is still pushing the blade deeper. Or if someone were breaking your arm, and you could feel the bone fracture, but it hasn't yet snapped. That's what I'd think if I heard you say <jIrIQlI'>.

bI'reng