[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: rIQ

Brent Kesler brent.of.all.people at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 12:43:29 PST 2012

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 8:22 AM, Felix Malmenbeck <felixm at kth.se> wrote:

> Could one say <jIrIQlI'> if one is convinced the injury will pass, or
> would that imply that the injury was intentionally inflicted ("I'm
> tempering my body to become a strlnger warrior." / "Terran bachelor parties
> are all about pranks and strippers. On Qo'noS, Kal'hyah wIpawmeH
> marIQlI'.").

To me, it sounds something has started to hurt you but hasn't finished yet.
Like if someone stabbed you, and you could feel the point of the blade cut
into you, but at that moment you know your attacker is still pushing the
blade deeper. Or if someone were breaking your arm, and you could feel the
bone fracture, but it hasn't yet snapped. That's what I'd think if I heard
you say <jIrIQlI'>.

bI'reng