[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: rIQ

Brent Kesler brent.of.all.people at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 15:05:25 PST 2012

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 2:45 PM, Felix Malmenbeck <felixm at kth.se> wrote:

> > To me, it sounds something has started to hurt you but hasn't finished
> yet. Like if someone stabbed you, and you could feel the point of the blade
> cut > into you, but at that moment you know your attacker is still pushing
> the blade deeper. Or if someone were breaking your arm, and you could feel
> the > bone fracture, but it hasn't yet snapped. That's what I'd think if I
> heard you say <jIrIQlI'>.
>
> I'd use <rIQchoHlI'> for that; in the process of becoming injured.

Yeah. I think I was putting too much thought into the English gloss rather
than the Klingon word itself. Still, I think of <-lI'> as signifying the
progressive aspect, and <rIQ> seems stative to me, so my brain is rejecting
<rIQlI'>.

However...

> Looking at TKD, it seems that for -lI' to be used, all that's required is
> a known goal or definite endpoint,
>

> That being said, in TKD MO also mentions -lI' as being a bit like a
> continuous counterpart to -ta', suggesting that -lI' may imply doing
> something intentionally. The examples I could find also support this.

I don't know if this is just MO trying to avoid linguistics jargon when
describing the progressive, or whether this is something other than the
progressive. So far, I've been treating it like the progressive and getting
away with it.

bI'reng