[Tlhingan-hol] Newbie question about vIneHbogh construction

David Trimboli david at trimboli.name
Thu Jan 26 09:20:44 PST 2012

On 1/26/2012 11:51 AM, Wiechu wrote:

> How do I know which verbs take objects which don't ?

If Marc Okrand has written something using a particular verb with an
object, you know.

If he hasn't used a verb, you must base your decision on how the English
translation would work. For instance, {QaQ} "be good" can't take a
direct object in English. You can't say "I am good the officer." Thus,
you can't say {yaS vIQaQ} either. (Most of the "be" verbs can't take
objects.)

Sometimes we are wrong. For years I believed {qIm} "pay attention"
couldn't take an object, because "pay attention" can't take a direct
object in English. You can't "pay attention the officer." Then we got
canon from Okrand that included using an object with {qIm}. So now we
know that {yaS vIqIm} "I pay attention to the officer" is valid.

http://www.trimboli.name/