[Tlhingan-hol] nuq bop bom: 'ay' wa'vatlh wejmaH wej: <qama' mIwmey>

De'vID jonpIn de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 15:00:21 PST 2012

QeS 'utlh:
> > > Makes sense. If that's the case, then in order to say that you cover
> > > X with Y, you'd have to say {X velmeH Y vIlo'} or {Y-vaD X vIvelmoH};

De'vID:
> > > I think you mean {X-vaD Y vIvelmoH}?

QeS 'utlh:
> > Nope. We only have a single clear example of a causative of a divalent
> > verb, but it shows that it's the *subject* of the non-causative form
> > that gets demoted to the {-vaD} position in the causative, so:
> >
> > ghaHvaD quHDaj qawmoH
> > It reminds him of his heritage. (S20)

De'vID:
> *mind blown*

Maybe I can translate this line like so:

It is imperative that we act now to support the Gorkon initiative, lest
more conservative elements persuade his Empire that it is better to attempt
a military solution and die fighting.

ghorqon jInmol'a' wIlajnIS 'ej wInumnIS. DaH mavangbe'chugh, wo'DajvaD
qechvam luHarmoH choHqangbe'wI'pu': SuvtaHvIS Hegh qaq law' yIn qaq puS.

I wonder if {pon} works the same way as {HarmoH} (i.e., {vay'vaD qech pon})?