[Tlhingan-hol] nuq bop bom: 'ay' wa'vatlh wejmaH wej: <qama' mIwmey>

Rohan Fenwick - QeS 'utlh qeslagh at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 21 00:02:39 PST 2012

jIjatlhpu':
> ({velwI'} is really doing my head in. Everything else Marc says in his email
> indicates that the subject of {vel} is a thing; a covering or carpet or rug.

mujang Qov, jatlh:
> I think it's idiomatic. Perhaps a contraction of velmoHwI'. Like how
> a plumber installs plumbing. Klingons probably think that it's crazy
> that a carpenter doesn't install carpets. We have lots of old weird
> names for people who make things. Fletcher? Cooper? Smith? I suppose
> the name for the person who performs the trade befomes fixed and then
> the word for the things they make changes.

Makes sense. If that's the case, then in order to say that you cover X with Y,
you'd have to say {X velmeH Y vIlo'} or {Y-vaD X vIvelmoH}; {Y-vaD X vIvel}
is probably ungrammatical. (At least, all the other evidence points to that.)

So in answer to your original question, if vajar is using a blindfold I'd be
happy with {leghlaHbe'meH qama', mInDu'Daj velmeH DIr lo'}. Otherwise, someone
made the suggestion of {buq}, which could work okay: {leghlaHbe'meH qama',
nachDajDaq buq lan}.

QeS 'utlh