[Tlhingan-hol] qo''e' tu'bogh pagh - 'ay' jav

De'vID jonpIn de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 23:33:38 PST 2012

In this scene (actually a sceneHom followed by a proper scene), Kirk & co.
board the Enterprise.

There's a lot of piloting lingo in this scene, which I'm not completely
sure about the meaning of.  Qov (and anyone else who may know the argot),
can you help?

Also, are people okay with me putting all the Klingon in one chunk,
followed by the English later, as I've been doing, or should I interlinear
them?

[SceneHom: Approaching the ship.]

lupDujHom: SeHyaH[1], SD-1-0-3 'oH Dujvam'e', logh vergh chol.
logh vergh: SD-1-0-3, NCC-1701-A-vaD *qIrq* HoD ghomDaj je DaHIj net
chaw'.  rIn.

[1] - I have {yo'SeH yaHnIv} listed as "Operations Command" with the source
noted as HQ 8.4.  However, I also have {HoD, yo' SeHyaH nIvvo' potlh De'
wIHevtaH} as the sentence in which it occurs, in which the word is broken
up as {yo' SeHyaH nIv} (which makes more sense to me).  Does anyone have HQ
8.4 so they can verify if one or the other form is a typo?

> SHUTTLECRAFT VOICE: Control, this is SD one zero three approaching
Spacedock.
> SPACEDOCK VOICE: SD one zero three, you are clear to deliver Captain
> Kirk and party to NCC one seven zero one alpha. Over.

[Scene: Aboard the ship.]

VALERIS: meHDaq paw HoD.
KIRK: peleS.  'Iv Sogh...?[2]
VALERIS: *valerIS*, qaH.  DeghwI' DapoQ net ja' vaj jISap.
SPOCK: Sogh, qaleghqa'mo' QaQ ghu'.  'ampaSDaq HaDpu'DI' Sogh, lutlhejbogh
mangHom'e' ghaH nIv law' Hoch nIv puS.  ta'vam chavbogh vulqangan wa'DIch
ghaH.
KIRK: bIHemqu'bej.
VALERIS: 'e' vIHarbe', qaH.
McCOY: vulqanganna' ghaH.
KIRK: Ha'.  Delaq Do'.  .... *SI'qotIy*?
SCOTT (ghogh): lu', qaH.
KIRK: jonta' pa' DaSam'a'?
SCOTT (ghogh): DaqDaq vIlanpu'boghDaq vISam, qaH.[3]
KIRK: SuH.   *'uHura*, vergh pIn HIrI'.[4]
UHURU: HevtaH SeHyaH, qaH.
KIRK: SeHyaH, 'entepray' maH... mamej 'e' yIchaw'.
vergh ghogh: SeHyaH maH.  'entepray', Sumej net chaw'.  vergh lojmIt
boSIchmeH wejmaH lup boghaj.[5]
VALERIS: wIwaQHa'lu'choH.[6]
KIRK: DaqvamDaq vergh lojmIt wIloStaH.
vergh ghogh: Huvbej SumejmeH He.
VALERIS: 'o' chuyDaH.
KIRK: maj.  Sogh, cha'maH vagh Hong.
VALERIS: HoD, ngochmo' verghDaq chuyDaH neH lulolu' 'e' qaqawmoHneS.[7]
SPOCK: [tuSlaw']
McCOY: *jIym*?
KIRK: qara'chu'ta' 'e' DaQoy, Sogh.
VALERIS: lu', qaH.

[2] - Again with the backward order from English so I can't cut off in the
right place.  Is this a proper use of {'Iv}?  Or should this be {Sogh 'Iv?}
(a pun on {SoH 'Iv})?
[3] - I'm pretty sure this sentence is grammatically wrong somehow.
        {vIlanpu'} "I put it (completed)"
        {DaqDaq vIlanpu'} "I put it at that location"
        {DaqDaq vIlanpu'bogh} "the location where I put it"
        {DaqDaq vIlanpu'boghDaq} "at the location where I put it"
        I'm not completely sure of that last step here.  When you have a
noun in a relative clause, where does the {-Daq} go?  I thought it might be
{DaqDaqDaq vIlanpu'bogh} but that definitely looks wrongs to me.
[4] - prefix trick for {jIHvaD yIrI'}.
[5] - In English, we say "This is (the name of a ship, the dock, etc.)".
Can we say {SeHyaH 'oH} in Klingon?  That sounds to me like "it (something
else) is Control (Station)".  Also, I'm not sure what "thirty seconds for
port gates" means.  Does it mean they estimate thirty seconds?  They're
permitted thirty seconds?  Anyone know the ship/piloting lingo?  (Qov?)
[6] - I don't know whether Valeris is saying a command (to the ship? to
engineering?) or making a statement.  I think the latter.  I also don't
know what kind of "moorings" are in spacedock.  (It's not like they tie the
ship up with ropes.)
[7] - I think on a Klingon ship, questioning the captain's orders in this
way would result in instant combat if not outright death.  I put {-neS}
here to soften the challenge, and also to reflect that she said "May I
remind..." rather than "I remind...".