[Tlhingan-hol] qo''e' tu'bogh pagh - 'ay' vagh

Robyn Stewart robyn at flyingstart.ca
Wed Jan 18 14:59:48 PST 2012

At 14:34 18/01/2012, you wrote:
>De'vID:
> >> QI' tuH'a' chavtaHvIS Heghchugh
> >> qaq ghu' 'e' lujatlh.[2]
>
>Qov:
> > That would be net jatlh.
>
>Why?  The subject is the {choHqangbe'wI'pu'} here.  Is the
>connection with the previous sentence not clear enough?

I'll take the blame for reading imprecisely.

>Qov:
> > I might go to something incorporating HeghvIS QaQ law' torvIS QaQ puS.
>
>I had considered a variation of that line.  I thought it might be a
>little bit too blunt considering that a conservative Klingon says
>exactly this later in the movie.  OTOH maybe the Klingon translation
>should be more blunt/less subtle than the English dialogue.

If that's the talking point they're going with, then one might hear
it many times. I had a little concern with Spock using a fossilized
form that comes off as poor grammar, but I can hear Spock saying, "I
believe the Human saying is 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'."

I figure my role in this is just to throw in things that occur to me,
in case they didn't to you, and perhaps tell you how I feel about
what you suggest. Qapla'!

- Qov