[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon subtitles for Star Trek episodes/movies?

Rohan Fenwick - QeS 'utlh qeslagh at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 9 21:49:17 PST 2012

ghItlhpu' De'vID, jatlh:
> Has anyone subtitled any complete Star Trek episode or movie in Klingon?

jIjang, jIja':
> Yes. I've prepared subtitles for "First Contact"; I completed them for qep'a'
> last year, though unfortunately we never quite got around to watching the
> subtitled version I put together.

mujang De'vID, jatlh:
> I don't have that movie,

Because it's now 15 years old (scary, no?), these days a copy can be had pretty
cheaply.

taH:
> and in general I'm more of a TOS fan than TNG.

Understandable. I prefer TNG myself, which is why I started with First Contact
(which is not only my favourite, but which I think stands well on its own as
a film).

> I think watching Star Trek with Klingon subtitles would be a fantastic way
> for people to learn the language.

wa' DoS wIqIp. This is one of the main reasons I did it: not only for others
to learn Klingon, but to help myself learn and memorise vocabulary as well.

> Is there any reason you used .SSA rather than .SRT? Is it because it
> lets you use pIqaD?

No real reason at all. The first subtitle editing program I used just had .SSA
as the default, so for consistency I kept using that format. But the program
I'm using now offers a range of file types so I can just save the file as
another type if you'd prefer me to send that.

> I thought about hard-subbing pIqaD, but there are probably not that many
> people who could read it fast enough to watch a movie with it. Better to
> stay with the Latin transcription.

Agreed. I used the romanisation for precisely that reason.

> Would people be interested in subtitling Star Trek episodes and movies
> on this mailing list? We can start with episodes/movies involving
> Klingons... that's enough work to occupy people for a long time.

jIjeSqang jIH. I was actually going to move on to Undiscovered Country next
(my favourite Trek film behind First Contact and the one that introduced me
to the Klingon language), but since you've begun that one already I might
pick another.

QeS 'utlh