[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon subtitles for Star Trek episodes/movies?

De'vID jonpIn de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 10:00:12 PST 2012

De'vID:
> > Has anyone subtitled any complete Star Trek episode or movie in Klingon?

QeS 'utlh:
> Yes. I've prepared subtitles for "First Contact"; I completed them for
qep'a'
> last year, though unfortunately we never quite got around to watching the
> subtitled version I put together. But I'm more than happy to send around
> copies of the .SSA subtitle file to anyone who's interested, and if people
> want to embed the subtitles into a movie file I'll gladly walk them
through
> the process.

I don't have that movie, and in general I'm more of a TOS fan than TNG.
I'd love to watch any movie or show with Klingon subtitles though (or even
better, with a Klingon dub -- but that's probaby too ambitious to be
realisable).  I think watching Star Trek with Klingon subtitles would be a
fantastic way for people to learn the language.

Is there any reason you used .SSA rather than .SRT?  Is it because it lets
you use pIqaD?  I thought about hard-subbing pIqaD, but there are probably
not that many people who could read it fast enough to watch a movie with
it.  Better to stay with the Latin transcription.

Would people be interested in subtitling Star Trek episodes and movies on
this mailing list?  We can start with episodes/movies involving Klingons...
that's enough work to occupy people for a long time.