[Tlhingan-hol] ghIj qet jaghmeyjaj

Lucifuge Rofocale fiat_knox at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jan 8 10:19:33 PST 2012

This originated in the Season 3 TNG episode "Sins Of The Father." It is a ritualised response to someone accepting the role of cha'DIch when challenging the Klingon High Council during the meqba'.

First spoken by Kurn when he accepted the role of cha'DIch offered by Worf - before it was revealed that Kurn was Worf's younger brother (due to politics, everyone believed Kurn to be a son of "Lorg" at the time, and that Worf was the sole survivor of Khitomer as well as the sole survivor of the House of Mogh).

When Kurn received incapacitating injuries as a result of an attack by assassins, Worf then asked Captain Picard to assume the mantle of cha'DIch, at which point Picard used the same acceptance response "I am honoured to accept. May our enemies run (scatter) in fear."

"ghIj qet jaghmeyjaj" uses the -jaj suffix. Although it really ought to be "ghIj jaghpu'ma' qetjaj," it may have become distorted into this through Tony Todd's inexperience in Klingon; Patrick Stewart may have had to use the same response for continuity, and it has thus become fixed in canon, however ungrammatical.

"Boldly to go," and all that. "Can I have three boldlies to go, please? Supersize them, as well."

Best surmise I can give. I can remember the episode as if I'd only seen it this morning, though. Some experiences last a lifetime.