[Tlhingan-hol] nuq bop bom: 'ay' wa'vatlh wa'maH cha': <SuchwI' chaw'>

Rohan F qeslagh at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 5 21:04:24 PST 2012

ghItlhpu' De'vID, jatlh:
> Which captions?  I'll have to haul out my DVD to watch it again, but I
> don't recall seeing {nuq DaghoS}, and I think I would've noticed since
> it would've surprised me.

Me too. By a happy coincidence I just watched ST6 again a few days ago and
though I didn't have the captions on, I'm sure I heard {nuqDaq ghoS}.
Though it's Clipped Klingon, the following sentence is clearly Morskan
{ghewmey SuqQo'}, which is also clipped.

Also, the sentence containing {ghoS} follows the atrocious Klingon response
by Uhura, which is largely unintelligible but which clearly begins with the
phrase {*Ursva maH} "we are the [ship] Ursva". Given that the pronoun is
{maH}, I think if the Klingon's response to Uhura contained any prefix it
would've been {bo-}.

> (It was the same television I on which I watched Captain Klaa shout
> {HIvHe choHmoH!} during a different visit. From that I learned that
> {choHmoH} means to change something else, thus {choH} would mean to
> become different.)

Intriguing. From {woj choHwI'} and {HoS choHwI'} I'd assumed that {choH}
was to change something else, so if something changed on its own, then it
was {choHlu'}. I don't think I have any of the actual phrases from ST5 -
maybe I should hurry up and watch it!

QeS 'utlh