[Tlhingan-hol] nuq bop bom: 'ay' wa'vatlh wa'maH cha': <SuchwI' chaw'>

Rohan Fenwick - QeS 'utlh qeslagh at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 5 15:39:53 PST 2012

Sorry I'm late to this. :/

ghItlhpu' Qov, jatlh:
> "nuqDaq DaghoS, HoD?"

jang ghunchu'wI', jatlh:
> 'utbe' <-Daq> qar'a'? I'm getting a "from whence" vibe here.

It's not necessary, but I think in an interrogative sentence the added
markedness of the -Daq version is fine. It adds a bit of emphasis to the
"where?" idea.

jang je Qov, jatlh:
> jIQoch. I'm pretty sure nuqDaq is a chunk like QongDaq, not the same
> word as, say nuqDaq DaQeq = what are you aiming at.

jIQoch jIH. I'm with ghunchu'wI'; obviously this is just an opinion, but
I think the only reason nuqDaq is in TKD separately is for the same
reason that HeghmoH is glossed as "be fatal": as an aid in the looking-up
process. If nuqDaq were a unit then nuqDaqvo' should be legal, but it
just looks awful to me.

taH:
> If there were numerous objects in the room and you had to pick one to
> approach then sure, nuq DaghoS, but "Where are you going?" = nuqDaq
> DaghoS.

HolQeD 7:4 indicates the two are functionally equivalent (though it does
depend on analysing nuqDaq as nuq + -Daq), :

MO: Here's the way {jaH} works. {jaH} can be used, using your terminologyboth transitively and intransitively. So, {bIQtIqDaq jIjaH} is "I go inthe river." I'm moving along in the river, traveling in the river. You canalso say {bIQtIqDaq vIjaH}..

WM: You'd still use the {-Daq}?MO: Yes. But you don't have to. That would be the way. {-Daq} or no {-Daq}.The prefix makes the difference in meaning. {jI-} means I'm moving along insomeplace. {vI-} means I'm moving along to someplace.

This agrees with what TKD p.28 says about the behaviour of ghoS.

jatlhtaH Qov:
> chobmeyDaq chaq vaghmaH nuv juS vajar DorwI' je.

jang ghunchu'wI', jatlh:
> Would anyone like to debate the merits of putting {-Hey} on a number?

Since they can behave as nouns elsewise (see TKD p.54: "Numbers are used as
nouns. As such, they may stand alone as subjects or objects or they may
modify another noun.") I have no issues at all with {vaghmaHHey nuvpu'},
which one might translate as "a group of what I believe is fifty people".

QeS 'utlh