[Tlhingan-hol] nuq bop bom: 'ay' wa'vatlh wa'maH cha': <SuchwI' chaw'>

Qov robyn at flyingstart.ca
Thu Jan 5 09:00:03 PST 2012

I have no argument with the going-to sense, nor with any of the
examples you discuss; although I won't deny occasionally making
errors with declarative sentences, they are errors, not misunderstandings.

Our difference lies in what nuqDaq means.  ghunchu'wI' and you seem
to see it as meaning "nuq+locative" i.e. to-place or at-place, in the
manner of puchpa'Daq or Qo'noSDaq. I see it as meaning simply
"place", with an interrogative slant, perhaps with an etymology in
the manner of QongDaq.

nuqDaq DaghoS?

Daqvetlh vIghoS.

Daqvetlh replaces nuqDaq with no change of grammar, just as Qel
replaces 'Iv below.

'Iv DaghoS?

Qel vIghoS.

I think nuqDaq is the exact interrogative equivalent of any named
destination. You, I understand, think it's the interrogative
destination nuq plus the locative suffix -Daq. As far as I can tell
we disagree on that point only.

You may argue that nuqDaq is also the interrogative equivalent of
QongDaqDaq and that as we don't say {nuqDaqDaq QottaH HoD} that the
syllable Daq in QongDaq is a removable locative suffix. I don't
believe that. I think that nuqDaq, like naDev can be a direct object
or a location without adding or removing a suffix.

I also understand that nuqDaq DaghoS becomes ambiguous in that the
question could refer to either the location of the full path or of
the destination, but then same with the answer, if it's pa' or naDev.

- Qov