[Tlhingan-hol] Monopoly - New Canon

De'vID jonpIn de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 14:00:41 PST 2012

De'vID:
> > >{ngIq} adv. each (we also saw this from {paq'batlh})

ter'eS:
> > I think this is more likely "a single; one"

These are the occurrences of {ngIq} from Klingon Monopoly (the same
sentences are repeated with different numbers on different cards):
{ngIq raQ - 150 QaS} "outposts cost 150 each"
{ngIq raQvaD cha'maH vagh QaS yInob} "For each outpost pay 25 forces."
{ngIq gholvo' wa'maH QaS yItlhap} "Collect 10 forces from every player."

And from the {paq'batlh}:
{ngIq nuv luHoH} "[They] were killed one by one" p.135
{ngIq tonSaw' lo' ej tIqDu' lel
  ngIq tonSaw' lo' 'ej quvqa'
  ngIq tonSaw' lo' 'ej rIn may'}
"In one single move, he removed the hearts,
  In one single move, he restored his honor,
  In one single move, the battle was done." p.169

The gloss "a single; one" works for some of these instances but not others,
besides which it's not expressed as an adverbial.  Maybe "singly,
individually"?  It seems to mean something like "a single (one), considered
individually apart from others".  I'm not sure how to express that
succinctly (and maybe you can't do so in English).

De'vID:
> > >{ghay} v. spray, bombard? (can take {jorwI'} as its object; known
>previously from {bIQ ghaywI' pa'} n. shower (room))

ter'eS:
> > Maybe it means "to rain down" ("rain" being metaphorical, not actual
rain).

Yes, I think that fits with the general idea of spray, bombard.

ter'eS:
> > I don't recall if these are on the box or not, but
> >
> > {vey} I saw this listed as "pack", but given that it refers to both a
game box and a wad of money, I think it means more than "pack', and would
propose "set", as well.

<vey> was on the box, which was why I skipped it.  It's used in the
translations of "Limited Edition" / "Collector's Edition".

ter'eS:
> > The box has in pIqaD {naS 'aplo'}, with the English "Contents". Would I
be justified in thinking this was supposed to be {ngaS 'aplo'}?

That's what I assumed as well.

ter'eS:
> > Anyone know what {vabDot} means? "even"? "including"? "also"?

Josh Badgley:
> My theory is that vabDot is an adverb meaning "even"
>
> vabDot tera' Qejbogh DIvI' ram boSuqlaH.
>
> "...and even the puny Federation's precious Earth are all up for grabs"

That's what I believe as well, but the one example is not sufficient
confirmation.

Josh Badgley:
> It comes at the beginning of the sentence, and it's the only term that I
don't recognize apart from Qej, which with -bogh added to it looks like a
verb that corresponds to the "precious Earth" part of the sentence. Qej -
to be precious?

I think {Qej} means something like "to value, to consider to be precious"
(the subject values the object).  It can't mean "to be precious", since
{DIvI' ram} is the subject.  If it did, {tera' Qejbogh DIvI' ram} would
mean "Earth's precious puny Federation", and not "the puny Federation's
precious Earth".