[Tlhingan-hol] {X net Y} vs. {X 'e' Y-lu'}

De'vID jonpIn de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 12:42:59 PST 2012

WARNING: Speculation about grammar.  Avoid if that's not your {Dargh
HIvje'}.

Because MO uses both {X net Y} and {X 'e' Y-lu'} in Klingon Monopoly, and
there aren't that many sentences, I'm not convinced that the use of {X 'e'
Y-lu'} is an error.

Here are the sentences from Klingon Monopoly of the form {X 'e' Y-lu'}:

{Qang QanmeH yan 'ISletlh Damuv 'e' wIvlu'.}
"You are chosen to serve on the Yan-Isleth and protect the Chancellor."

{DIvI' rojmab qep ghanglu' 'e' nIDlu', 'ach taH qep.}
"Despite efforts to halt them, peace talks with Federation continue."

Here are the sentences from Klingon Monopoly of the form {X net Y}:

{Duj ghajchugh pagh, beylI'vo' 'oH Daje' net chaw'.}
{HoSHal ghajchugh pagh, beylI'vo' 'oH Daje' net chaw'.}
Both of these are translated as "If unowned, you may buy it from the Bank."

In an earlier thread ("Klingon Monopoly: another card"), I speculated that
{X net Y} and {X 'e' Y-lu'} have slightly different meanings.  Namely, {X
net Y} implies no relationship between the indefinite subjects of the verbs
{X} and {Y}, whereas {X 'e' Y-lu'} implies that the subject of {X} is the
subject of {Y} (the object of {Y-lu'}).  And in particular, {W-lu' 'e'
Y-lu'} implies that {W-lu'} and {Y-lu'} share the same indefinite subject.

That is, I think {Damuv 'e' wIvlu'} means "you are chosen to join" (similar
to {Damuv; SoH DawIvlu'}, whereas {Damuv net wIv} means "it is chosen, you
join" (similar to {Damuv; 'oH wIvlu'}).

By the same reasoning, I also think that {ghanglu' 'e' nIDlu'} implies that
the indefinite subject of both verbs are the same (i.e,. "someone tried to
end it prematurely, someone tried that someone -- the same person -- end it
prematurely"), whereas {ghanglu' net nID} means "it is tried that someone
end it prematurely, someone tried that someone (possibly someone else) end
it prematurely".  I think this is more clear in the two sentences from TKW
p.125.

As for {Daje' net chaw'}, it needs to be {net} because the object of
{chaw'} is the action being permitted.  *{Daje' 'e' chaw'lu'} is like
*{Daje'; SoH chaw'lu'}, but this isn't how {chaw'} works.

Does anyone else see this difference between the {X net Y} and {X 'e'
Y-lu'} sentences, or am I imagining things?  Is my speculation contradicted
by any canon?