[Tlhingan-hol] Monopoly - New Canon

De'vID jonpIn de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 15:53:09 PST 2012

Quvar:
> The original sentence:
> {Qo'noS romuluS je boSuqlaH. vabDot tera' Qejbogh DIvI' ram boSuqlaH.}
> "Kronos, Romulus and even the puny Federation's precious Earth are all up
for grabs."

> literally:
> {vabDot tera'('e') Qejbogh DIvI' ram boSuqlaH}
>
> *vabDot*, you can get the Earth which the unimportant federation *Qej*es.
>
> Or is this a noun? You can get the {vabDot tera'}?

I think it's very likely this is an adverbial meaning "even", "moreover",
"furthermore".

Quvar:
> Talking about new words - what does Qej mean? I can't find it in my
notes.

I noticed that {Qej} is still missing from your New Words list.  Are you
going to leave it off until we know better what it means?

My guess is that it means "values, cherishes", {tera'e' Qejbogh DIvI'}
"Earth which the Federation cherishes, the Federation's precious Earth".  I
think it has to be something along those lines.

> The sentence should have a topic marker to make clear that it's the earth
you can
> get, not the federation.

The ambiguity with {-bogh} is one of my favourite parts of the Klingon
language.  It needs a topic marker to match the English translation, but
without it it's perfectly good Klingon.  You can conquer the Federation's
precious Earth, or maybe you can conquer the Federation which cherishes the
Earth.