[Tlhingan-hol] qo''e' tu'bogh pagh - 'ay' wa'maH loS

Robyn Stewart robyn at flyingstart.ca
Fri Feb 24 15:19:48 PST 2012

At 10:43 24/02/2012, you wrote:

>In the previous part, the Enterprise fire{law'}ed on Kronos One.
>
>This next part has scenes cutting back and forth and is really
>confusing.  Also, I'm not 100% sure about the Klingon characters'
>names... they're from some movie transcript web site, and in some
>cases don't look correct to me as to who says which line.  But I'll
>keep them as-is.  When lines are actually spoken in Klingon in the
>movie, I do my best to reconstruct the original sentences, but
>sometimes the actors' pronuncations leave something to be
>desired.  Also, there are a few lines spoken in the background in
>Klingon which are not in the transcript.  I'll subtitle those too
>when I actually sync my subtitles to the movie, but presumably a
>Klingon viewer wouldn't need subtitles for those parts. {{:-)
>
>[ghorqon gharmeH pa']
>
>KERLA: tlham chu'Ha'lu'.
>STEX: nutojbej!

Why toj and not magh?

>['entepray' peng pa']
>KIRK (QumwI' ghogh): meH maH.

That comes across oddly. Do you like it better than {meHDaq maH} or
{lIrI'lI' meH}?

>   choQoy'a'?  choQoy'a'?
>
>['entepray' meH]
>KIRK: peng pa'!  'otlh chavetlh wIbaHpu''a'?

Aaagh, I so want DI- there even though it's wrong. :-)

>['entepray' peng pa']
>SCOTT: ghobe', HoD.  muja' tetlh De'wI': Hoch cha wIghaj.

I got "inventory computer" from that, but if it were me I might have
strayed further from the original and gone with {cha toghpu' De'wI'. Dach pagh}

>[Qo'noS wa' jolpa' - jol cha' DIvI' beqHey]
>
>[ghorqon gharmeH pa']
>GORKON: cheng'e' DaH Sam!

Hey, I recognize that grammar. :-)

>[Qo'noS wa' chob]
>UHURA (ghogh): Qo'noS wa', 'entepray' maH.  cheHev'a'?  rIn.

"Are you receiving us" I would translate as {jabbI'IDvam
boHevlI''a'?} or back to {cheQoy'a'} as you used earlier. I'm used to
it in English but it seems oddly literal in Klingon.

>[ghorqon gharmeH pa']
>(ghorqon qIp pu'HIch tIH)
>
>['entepray' meH]
>UHURA: yajmeH Qatlhqu', qaH.  bachlaw' 'op nuH 'ej tlhoy jachlu'taH.
>CHEKOV: nechtaH Duj.

listing (which is indeed a ridiculous thing for a ship to do in
space, but ships listing in space as a sign of damage is a venerable
Star Trek tradition so I won't hold you responsible) is not
translational. I would have gone straight for {taHchoH} but {loQ
ronpu'} describes it too.

- Qov