[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: bal

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Dec 6 11:34:13 PST 2012

A useful verb is {muq} "have a volume of".  So if a bloodwine bottle is a standard size:

  vaghmaH 'Iw HIq bal muq qeghvam
  This barrel has a volume of 50 bloodwine bottles.

To refer to the number of actual bottles in the barrel:

  vaghmaH 'Iw HIq bal ngaS qeghvam
  This barrel contains 50 bottles of bloodwine.

FYI see {tlho'ren}:

  The only unit of volume I'm aware of is {tlho'ren}. I'm
  not exactly sure how much one {tlho'ren} is, but it seems
  to be in the quart/liter range."  [Okrand, st.k 10/22/1997]

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons