[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Dol

Lieven Litaer lieven.litaer at web.de
Thu Aug 9 14:40:49 PDT 2012

Am 09.08.2012 23:17, schrieb De'vID:
> That is, {Dol} means "entity" not in the sense of a "creature" or
> "being", but in the sense of "unit", "whole", and so on.

Well exactly there's the point. I'm not a native english speaker so I
might stand corrected, but Webster tells me that "entity" does NOT mean
"whole":

en·ti·ty   [en-ti-tee]  Show IPA
noun, plural en·ti·ties.
1. something that has a real existence; thing: corporeal entities.
2. being or existence, especially when considered as distinct,
independent, or self-contained: He conceived of society as composed of
particular entities requiring special treatment.
3. essential nature: The entity of justice is universality.

en·tire·ty   [en-tahyuhr-tee, -tahy-ri-]  Show IPA
noun, plural en·tire·ties.
1. the state of being entire;  completeness: Homer's Iliad is rarely
read in its entirety.
2. something that is entire;  the whole: He devoted the entirety of his
life to medical research.

Lieven.