[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Dol

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Thu Aug 9 14:42:50 PDT 2012

> My opinion based on the example is "no".  I think the example
> clarifies the meaning of {Dol}:
>
>   wa' Dol nIvDaq matay'DI' maQap
>   We succeed together in a greater whole. (TKW p.209)

That example is from TKW, though, which was published in 1996, years after the second edition of TKD (updated edition from 1992, but I think Dol was already in the old edition from 1985), where <Dol> was translated simply as "entity".

What Lieven seems to be suggesting is that Marc intended it to mean "entity" as in "the crystalline entity" or "some super-powerful alien entity", but that when writing TKW he looked up "entirety", mistook "entity" for "entirety" and then published it.

Personally, I'm not really leaning either way on this one. The look-up mistake theory is plausible enough, but I think it's equally plausible that he meant "whole" all along; it's a sensible interpretation of "entity".