[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: cheb'a'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Aug 6 06:56:24 PDT 2012

De'vID:
> My tentative conclusion at the time was that there is a factor of 9
> between {cheb} and {cheb'a'}, ...

Just like the difference between {'uj} and "{j'a'}:

st.k 2/03/99:  "An {'uj} is a unit of linear measurement, roughly 35 centimeters; an {'uj'a'}, or "big uj" ({'uj} plus the augmentative suffix {-'a'} "big") is nine times as long, or nine ujes, somewhat over three meters.

Confirmed by charghwI's Interview with Marc Okrand that it's a unit of weight equal to 9 times a {cheb}.  (I don't have a reference.  Anyone have it?)

As Felix pointed out, there is one example of {cheb'a'}:

  wejvatlh SochmaH vagh SaD cheb'a'mey ngI' Duj
  Mass: 8.7 KT. (KBoP)

and AFAIK there are no examples of {cheb}:

st.k 10/22/97:  A common unit of weight is {cheb}, which is around five pounds (2.25 kg or so).

The verb used when speaking of weights is {ngI'} "have a weight of, weigh" also used once in the KBoP Poster.

Any more examples of weights and measures in the {paq'batlh}?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons