[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: cheb'a'

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 11:56:33 PDT 2012

loghaD:
> For example, if a cheb is exactly 2.32 kg (which would make 2.25 kg a decent approximation), 375 000 * 10 chebmey would be EXACTLY 8.7 kilotons.
> More accurately, we should expect a cheb to be somewhere within the range of 8650/3750 kg and 8750/3750 kg; that is, roughly between 2.3066666... kg and 2.3333333...
>
> [I specify this range because if it were lower than 2.306666... then 8.6 KT would have been a better approximation, and if if were over 2.333333... then 8.8 KT would have been a better approximation.]
>
> Note that even at the top of this range (1 cheb = 2.333.... kg), 2.25 kg/cheb is a better approximation than 2.5 kg/cheb, thus conforming to our knowledge.
>
> *sits back and waits for the errors he's probably made to be pointed out*

I could've sworn we had a discussion about this just a few months
ago... There are several problems, such as not knowing what the
strength of gravity is on Kronos relative to Earth, or which
definition of "ton"/"tonne" is being used, etc.

Here is the last message from the previous discussion:
http://www.kli.org/tlhIngan-Hol/2012/March/msg00137.html

My tentative conclusion at the time was that there is a factor of 9
between {cheb} and {cheb'a'}, and that the definition uses the
American "short ton" for "kT".