[Tlhingan-hol] mIl'oD veDDIr SuvwI': 'ay' 3 - nIteb SuvnIS DevwI'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Aug 1 08:47:27 PDT 2012

QeS:
>qIjbogh mInDu'Daj[1] 'ej notqa' tel[2] rurbogh SoQmoH
>'ej SaQchoH.
>
>[1] With no word for "eyelash", it's tIna'tIn's eyes that
> are black. ramqu'.
>[2] The original Georgian is /q'ornisa bolo-prtata/ "raven's
> tail feathers". notqa' is just too good for "raven".

Do Klingons have eyelashes?  We know they have {Huy'} "eyebrow(s)" - presumably the same color as tIn'atIn's lashes - which are significant to Klingons.  {Huy'} shows up in a common simile:

  val; Huy' rur
  clever as an eyebrow (KGT)

and {Huy'Dung} is a regional variant for "forehead":

KGT 28f.:  The standard word for this prominent part of Klingon anatomy is {Quch}, and this word is found with this meaning throughout the Empire. In addition, however, practically every dialect has its own alternate word for forehead. Indeed, {Quch} is simply the word for forehead in the First City. Among these other forms are: ... {Huy'Dung} is probably from {Huy' Dung} ("above the eyebrow[s]").

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons