[Tlhingan-hol] nuq bop bom: 'ay cha'vatlh loSmaH chorgh: quv tobmeH

Rohan Fenwick - QeS 'utlh qeslagh at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 1 08:34:27 PDT 2012

jIghItlhpu', jIjatlh:
> I'm falling behind again... :/

jang Qov, jatlh:
> chaq vIlI' 'e' vImev.

jIjang je, jIjatlh:
> Qo'! At least, not on my account.
mujangqa' Qov, jatlh:
> No, there's another reason, but I'll keep you supplied while you're still
reading.

No worries - but again, don't go out of your way just on my account. I've got plenty of backlog to read, after all.

jIH:
> Will my own 'ay'Hom wejDIch slow
you up a little?

Qov:
> loQ. Depends on the weather and the phase of the moon--literally. I got
called out to work today because of especially low tides.

Heh, not many jobs where that's the case. nuq Data'?

> I'm so excited
by the whole Georgia/epic thing that I already want to dress up like
tIna'tIn and go horseback riding through the Caucuses. With a sabre.

mIllogh tIqon, pagh qaSbe'pu'. :P

> Is
this poem a famous piece of literature in Georgia? Will normal people be
somewhat familiar with it?

Very much. What Dante is to Italian or Shakespeare to English, Shota Rustaveli is to Georgian. Even more so, maybe - before the 20th century it was customary for a copy, often illuminated, to form part of new brides' trousseaux, and the main avenue of Tbilisi and two Georgian universities are named after Rustaveli.

> I will have to learn enough Georgian to
explain that I read it in the original Klingon. Or maybe not.

I'm not sure how they'd deal with that! :) They'd be glad you knew about it, though, through whatever means it happened to be.

QeS