[Tlhingan-hol] voDleH Qun je

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Apr 25 06:56:48 PDT 2012

De'vID:
> >> yatlhchoH voDleH be' 'ej puqloD qeng.
> >> The king's lady bore a son.

Philip:
>> I think this "bear" is in the sense of "give birth to" rather than
>> "carry" (in other words, the active verb of which "born" is the
>> passive participle). So I wonder whether {puqloD boghmoH voDleH be'}
>> would be a better translation.
>
> ...or {yatlhchoH voDleH be' 'ej ghIq bogh puqloD} or something.

According to my notes:

  The new {paq'batlh} shows us that a pregnant woman does
  {qeng} a child.  [Lieven, 11/02/2011]

I only have {puq qeng} "carry a child" (of a pregnant woman) (PB 184-185) listed.  (Can anyone supply us the full verse?)  This is carry the child in her womb while pregnant, presumably.  "Bear, give birth to" might be *{boghmoH}.

Examples of {bogh} in canon:

  loSmaH ben jIboghpu'
  I am 40 years old
  I was born 40 years ago  [st.k 12/12/96]

  bogh tlhInganpu', SuvwI'pu' moj, Hegh
  Klingons are born, live as warriors, then die. TKW

  SuvmeH 'ej charghmeH bogh tlhInganpu'
  Klingons are born to fight and to conquer. TKW

  ngIq tonSaw' lo'
   SaD law' San chenmoH qeylIS
   wej boghbogh nuvpu' San chenmoH
  In one single move,
   Kahless decided the fate
   Of thousands, and those to come.  (PB, p.???)

AFAIK there are no examples of {yatlh} "be pregnant", but in VOY "Prophecy" Kohlar asked the pregnant B'Elanna, "Did you conceive [*{yatlhchoH}?] during the holy month of Nay'Poq?"

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons