[Tlhingan-hol] nuq bop bom: wa'vatlh javmaH cha':

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Apr 18 12:44:53 PDT 2012

Qov:
>> Hagh vajar. jatlh, "nuq? 'IH ghaH. SoH DuHotDI' DatIv, qar'a'?"
>> vajarDaq boqrat chej chuH Hota'ro'.

ghunchu'wI':
> {chuH} has the target as its object, and I'm pretty sure it applies
> literally only to throwing spears.

KGT 149:  The object of {chuH} is usually the intended target, the person or thing at which the spear is thrown.

  jagh chuH SuvwI'
  The warrior spears the enemy.
  The warrior throws [a spear] at the enemy. KGT

  jagh chuHchu' SuvwI'
  The warrior spears the enemy perfectly.
  The warrior hits the enemy [with a thrown spear]. KGT

  qachuHnIS'a'
  Must I hurl a spear at you? KGT

> Perhaps {jaD} would be a better verb.

{jaD} "throw around, hurl about" does indeed work better.  In fact we have an example with food in KGT:

KGT 91:  Note that {Soj woD} ("He/she throws the food away"), which refers to a regrettable activity, is very different from {Soj jaD} ("He/she throws or hurls the food in the manner of a projectile"), which, under certain circumstances, is considered a reasonable pastime.

>> vabDot DaQoybe'chugh,
>
> I wouldn't use {vabDot} this way based on the {vabDot tera' Qejbogh}
> sentence. We definitely need another example or six of its use in
> context. Is it an adverbial leftover that applies to the verb? Is it
> an oddball noun that has no direct English equivalent? Is it
> something entirely unexpected?

For those of us who don't remember the Monopoly example:

  Qo'noS romuluS je boSuqlaH.  vabDot tera' Qejbogh
   DIvI' ram boSuqlaH.
  Kronos, Romulus and even the puny Federation's precious
   Earth, are all up for grabs. MKE

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons