[Tlhingan-hol] Google Search in Klingon

ghunchu'wI' 'utlh qunchuy at alcaco.net
Thu Sep 22 04:24:44 PDT 2011

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 4:49 PM, Qov <robyn at flyingstart.ca> wrote:
> I'm just going to start here, because some obviously poor choices will
> motivate better ones. I'm almost deliberately not being consistent,
> to see
> what people prefer and hate.

>> Web
> De'wI' rarbogh pat

That's okay to refer to the Internet, but the "web" is a specific kind
of interconnectedness of data. I think it needs to have a catchy,
pithy, semidescriptive term. Some years ago I came up with {Dat De'
Dol} as a way to express "World Wide Web". {De' Dol} works for "Web"
in my mind, even though it has to be explained (or used in a *very*
obvious context) before it can be understood.

>> Sites
> Daq

While that is an immediately obvious way to do it, I think it's too
literal a translation. {Daq} should be about spatial location, and
using it for "site" in this sense collides with the need to talk about
physical places. A "web site" is not a place. It is a coherent group
of usually related information. There's probably a naval term or
something that can be borrowed to describe it, like {nawlogh}, though
that too can't easily be understood by someone not in on the jargon.

Similarly, using {nav} for "web page" seems the wrong idiom in my
opinion. {ghItlh} would be closer to the right idea.

Maybe {ghItlh} for "page" and {ghItlhghom} for "site"?

It feels uncomfortable to invent jargon intended for widespread use.
Perhaps it's just time to do it, though.

-- ghunchu'wI'