[Tlhingan-hol] nuq bop bom: 'ay' cha'maH Soch

Qov qov at flyingstart.ca
Mon Sep 19 10:04:45 PDT 2011

At 09:34 19/09/2011, you wrote:

>jIHvaD QapHa'law'taH tetlh. qay'be' - tagha' DaHjaj lutwIj vItu'ta'!

jIHvaD QapHa' je. 'ej yIHoj, bIjangDI' jabbI'ID Hev wa' nuv neH.

>ghItlhta' Qov, jatlh:
> > peQchem lIngwI' ngaDmoHwI' je qaS,"
>jatlh HoD.

Could your copy have been truncated?

"ghaytan QapHa'mo' nuH HoS 'och, peQchem lIngwI' ngaDmoHwI' je qaS,"

"It likely happened because the power conduit and the magnetic field
generator stabilizer were malfunctioning."

(Had they consulted the MEL they would know that you can't use
'elSeHcha for more than ten seconds at a time or for more than one
minute out of ten if both the n.H.o. and the p.l.n were
inoperative).  You are so lucky regarding the stuff that just comes
naturally to me about malfunctioning vessels that I don't write. Or
rather that I do write, laugh at and delete.

I think you're just so used to qaStaHvIS that it seems weird to be a
main verb. I'll I move the ghaytan to after the -mo' clause.

> > Sa'nID
>'uj'a' Saw'bogh ngeng'e'
>
>{SanID}Daq 'utbe' qaghwI'. 'ej DuH'a' {SanID} mob? 'ut {wa'SanID} 'e' vIHar.

Ooh, I think I've misspelled it elsewhere too. I'll have to watch for
that. I usually just use SaD all the time and was forcing myself to mix it up.

>(And my conversion chart reads 1800 fathoms, give or take. :P)

I went straight to metres on this occasion, to make sure it was the
right order of magnitude.

> > rur be'vetlh. yorDaq [2] motlh jot,
>
>I tend to use ghor for this meaning even with standing bodies of water (not
>for, say, a glass of water, though), but I'm never quite sure if it works
>either. I think yor is fine.

But I like ghor much better. I don't know why it didn't come to mind.
I use it all the time when I'm thinking of the planet as a whole.

> > 'a SunvaD QaQ Hegh
>net Sov, net Sov!

I'm having my most fun writing this when I get to turn a standard
industry practice on its head.  I can totally see the captain just
shooting a poorly performing pilot. So much more efficient than "I
have control" and removes the awkwardness of the later debriefing.

> > vangvIpbe'meH be', "maqeq"
>jatlhbe'pu' HoD. "yIHub'egh" jatlhpu' neH 'ej
> > ghaHDaq Duvpu'.[1]
>
>< toH, vajar, Hoch be'pu'vaD 'e' Dajatlh qar'a'? >

Dayajmo' jIHaghqu'. jIqontaHvIS jIja''egh <muyajmo' tIvchugh wa' nuv jIQuch>.

> > Is it clear that the tonSaw' lesson is in a flashback, remembered by
>the
> > captain as he considers the DeghwI'?
>
>Yep, I think so. You were clearly pretty careful to keep using -pu' all the
>way through that bit and it kept things clear. majQa'.

yay!

- Qov