[Tlhingan-hol] Eurotalk - New Words - Countries

Qov robyn at flyingstart.ca
Sat Oct 29 13:18:31 PDT 2011

My comments on the list ...

First of all there's a big jolt of happiness because I have long
advocated for using the native names of countries--and I see that
qe'San has just posted saying that my input was considered there, so
I'm leaping around in pride. jImIybe'. jIHem neH.

Also Marc did proper research on many that I didn't, making me wish
I'd done the research all those years ago.

>Canada - qa'naDa'

I find it a little hard to say!  I want to say qanaDa or qa'na'Da' or
qa'naDa or qa'NaDa' instead.

>Finland - SuwomIy

Love it!  Especially as I never was sure I was pronouncing Suomi
correctly, and here it is: Klingons pronounce it just like I do.

>France - vIraS

It's fine for an English pronunciation and grand for the proper
French pronunciation, too. I can really see a Klingon listening to
France and writing down vIraS.

>Germany - DoyIchlan

At first, and when you listen to the CD ROM it looks like a fine
match for Deutchland (sp? sorry) but when you consider Klingon
syllabification, it can't not be Do-yIch-lan. Can the oy dipthong be
formed across a syllable boundary?  "y'all wield swords" is <'etlhmey
bo-yan> not <boy-an>. There must be a canon pronunciation of a
prefixed verb starting in w or y and I doubt there is a dipthong. So
it's Do-yIch-lan and not Doy-'IS-lan

>Greece - 'elaDya'

I love it.  I wish that were the English.

>New Zealand - nu'SIylan

Same comments as others re New not being translated, but the practice
of the surrounding nations makes me accept it as fine.

>Portugal - portughal

I called it that like 15 years ago. Booyah!

>Russia - raSya'

I was disappointed with this one. It sounds based on the English, not
the Russian.

>Spain - 'eSpanya'

I think I called that one, too.

>Sweden - Suverya'

Our resident Swede has already commended this.

>The Netherlands - ne'Derlan

I expected puH 'eS or the like, but I still like it.

>Turkey - turIqya'

I don't know Turkish, so have to trust that this one is accurate.

>United Kingdom - tuqjIjQa'
>United States of America - 'amerI'qa' SepjIjQa'

I like these better now that the typo has been corrected. I tend to
say DIvI' not yuQjIjQa', but the three of them make a nice set.

I would definitely lean towards 'alba' and 'erIn for the kids.  Heck
you could actually NAME kids Alba and Erin without getting cited for
child abuse or having them neglected at school.

I'm especially excited by this post not just because it says I helped
a little, but because it means tomorrow I can start using the New Words.

- Qov